Thursday, May 17, 2012

Yokomo Damper Maintenance.


This is one of the tedious tasks in RC. Rebuilding the Dampers.


Like anything, maintenance keeps things on top. A well oiled machine... and all that. You will notice that I'm rebuilding Yokomo Dampers from my HT chassis. I had already installed Active Hobby soft Rebound pistons. These seem to work fine. But rebound is not so slow as you'd expect. I think the Tech Racing design is much better.


Anyway the amount of play in the shaft was terrible. So I went and bought some new guides and I had new o-rings already and the full range of Yokomo oils.
But the play is still there There must be a better solution

The only choice was which one. I think the drift car should be soft. but what does soft mean.

For me soft means... less resistance to the piston. Which in a soft rebound situation will probably mean increasing the piston speed. Maybe that's not desired... I shall see.

I chose 200 weight oil for testing this time. It's down from 450/350 combo.

I'll try and set up the other shocks with a harder oil around 700 for testing.

Spring and shock testing next week.


2 comments:

  1. hey russ. how do you clean your dampers? do you wash it with soap, toothbrush, etc.? how often do you rebuild dampers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think drift requires the meticulous methods of 1:10 on road.

    I just get as much of the original oil out as I can

    I'm using similar oil so the 0.001 percent that's remaining is no problem.

    Once every 2 months is about all. That's 8-days or about 40 hours of drifting.

    I find they don't leak that much to warrant any more than that.

    ReplyDelete

Got a question or a comment. It doesn't hurt to ask.